Monday, August 12, 2013

Yes. Yes. And Yes.


I'm on a roll. 

I think this is my third consecutive post in a maybe ever. I did want to post something, anything really earlier this week but I opted otherwise. But now I'm a little concerned because this is my sister's last week volunteering at the library, so I don't know what I'm going to do without my weekly hour in solitude. 

I'll just have to think of something. 

In other news, I have made some new purchases. One not so new and the other completely new. 

Both things are makeup related. 

I bought makeup remover wipes and a makeup setting spray. 

The wipes were Neutrogena: 
Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleaning Towelettes
Retail: $8.99 (Ulta)
That took up quite a bit of space.... (on this post, not on my counter...)

Backstory: Originally I had been using the night calming version, because I had thought that would be more sensitive skin friendly, and yes I do still love them. But I was getting a bit frustrated with the flimsy wrapping/casing, so I wanted to get the wipes with the container, but as you can see from the image above, the wipes only came in the original cleansing wipes. Therein lied my problem. So about a month ago, during one of my Ulta trips I there was a particularly long line. And you know how Ulta/Sephora is set up? Throughout the checkout line there are stands what have basically travel/trial sized everything at a lower price compared to the regular size. Smart people, they are. They always get me. Always. So as I was saying. I was waiting in line, there were a several people waiting but only one or two registers open, so it was a slow going process. I prefer shorter lines because I know my limits and I know what I'm like and I just know I'm going to get sucked into buying something. But during this particular time I couldn't do that because it was crunch-time and my parents were waiting in the car outside because Ulta was just a pit stop before going somewhere. So I got in line. There were so many things I wanted. Setting sprays, primers, hair conditioners, eyeliners, mascaras... I could feel my resolve slipping. And then I saw them. The travel-size pack of Neutrogena cleansing towelettes. As a firm believer in signs, I couldn't ignore this one. I was meant to buy them, there was no denying it. So without hesitation and a twinge of guilt, I put it in my pile of items I needed to purchase. 

I do like them. They get everything off my face, it doesn't irritate my skin, it removes my eyeliner and shadow. But I do go over my eyes with an eye-makeup remover on a cotton round, only because I want as much of my makeup off because I wash my face. 

Tidbit: In case you were wondering, I've recently switched to Philosophy's Purity facial cleanser from the Murad clarifying cleanser. Suffice it to say, it's been a godsend to my face. Let's hope it stays that way. (knock-on-wood). 

My next purchase was a makeup setting spray. 

Urban Decay de-slick Makeup Setting Spray
Retail: $14.00 (Ulta)
Yes. I finally got the balls to buy it. I've been lusting after this since my interest in foundation began. 

Backstory: I have oily skin and I wear glasses. In the winter I suspect it won't be that much of a problem, but throughout the summer, I can't wear makeup on my nose without my makeup rubbing off and glasses sliding down my nose. Though admittedly, I'm Filipino, so I don't have much of a nose to begin with, but I digress. 

I honestly have yet to try it because my skin is a tiny bit sensitive so I'm always a little hesitant to try new things on my face. And usually if I do I try to pick days when I'm not going anywhere because my reactions are immediate and I prefer not to go out in public with my face anything less than adequate. 

Anecdote: I remember when I was a little younger than I currently am now, I think I was about 12/13. And I remember my mom wanted me to try a new facial cleanser, she recommended the one she was using at the time. It was this one: 
Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleaner
Retail: $7.79 (Walgreens)
So, innocent me, washed my face using this cleanser then dried and moisturized my face as usual. I swear to you, it happened in at least ten minutes. I remember having a hard time sleeping, my face felt extremely hot and I remember putting my hand on my face and it felt ice cold. I kid you not. Then came the itchiness. I kept scratching my cheeks, rubbing my face on the pillow, rubbing my palms all over my face, trying to find any sense of relief, it was terrible. I felt terrible. So then by that point I got up and looked at my face in the mirror and noticed my face was completely red and had bumps all over my face. At that point admittedly I started crying. Not my finest moment. Then my mom came in. My blessed mother. She saw my reaction (my skin and my tears) and if I remember correctly she gave my a washcloth soaked in cold water, to bring down the inflammation and then after that told me to wash my face with my original cleanser. It brought down the redness a lot and the itchiness was practically gone, if I remember correctly. That, bar none, was the worst experience of my life. 

Now, I don't know what hives are, but I feel like my Cetaphil experience was damn close to it because that was terrifying. 

Clearly, you can understand the hesitation I have every time I buy a new facial product. That's why I love places like Ulta and Sephora because they give me samples to take home, so I don't have to commit $20+ to a product that could possibly break my out and cause a bad reaction.  

As a completely unrelated side-note, I feel like the majority of this post is in italics... 

Oh and additionally I had also purchased a tiny travel-size hair conditioner. 

Redken Curvaceous Conditioner
Retail: $5.00 (Ulta) 
I didn't go into Ulta consciously wanting to buy this, but I had a coupon I received my last trip to Ulta that was "$5 off a single purchase of $15 or more" or something to that effect. And because I had purchased the UD setting spray (a brand that is excluded from all Ulta coupons) my coupon wasn't accepted, thankfully the lady gave me a chance to use the coupon and told me to pick something else up so it can be utilized. So I picked something from one of the stands next to the checkout line and chose this conditioner. While I didn't really need this, it wasn't something that was completely unnecessary. I do currently use this conditioner and I have both the 8.5 oz and the 33.8 oz. I keep the 8 oz bottle in my shower and I keep the 33 oz bottle under my sink for refills. The scent I feel is a bit masculine, but I don't mind it. I know my mother hates it, but I kind of like it. Plus I use this conditioner in combination with two other conditioners so it all turns out okay. 

I think that just about concludes my purchase history of this week. 

As I said earlier, I'm a little stumped as to how I'm going to keep this regular posting system going without my sister's volunteering. But I'm hoping I'll come up with something. 

Until next time! 

JoAnne

No comments:

Post a Comment